Another Friday, another four new releases hitting the theaters. Once again, we have an animation, a horror, and a romantic comedy. But the film that sticks out like a sore thumb is Steven Soderbergh’s, The Informant!
The Informant! is an R-rated film starring Matt Damon as a corporate whistleblower who goes undercover for the FBI. The previews and commercials make the pic look a lot like a comedy, but I’m expecting a lot more from Soderbergh. Opening in about 2,500 theaters, the competition might be too steep this weekend for The Informant! to really make an impact.
The family animation film this weekend is titled, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. And guess what? It’s available in 3-D and in Imax! It’s been a while since there was a movie targetting kids and families, so expect this to top the box office.
And then there’s Jennifer’s Body, the screenplay follow-up from Diablo Cody (Juno). Starring Megan Fox, the film is a horror/comedy about a teenage girl who eats boys. It has an R-rating, which should inhibit its box office success a bit. But opening in about 2,700 theaters and being able to attract male and female viewers should easily rank this film into the Top 5.
Finally, there’s a cute romantic-comedy out starring Jennifer Aniston and Aaron Eckhart titled, Love Happens. This film doesn’t appeal to me, but that’s probably since the target demographic for the flick will be young adult-adult women who want their Hollywood-romance fix. Debuting in about 1,800 theaters, let’s see if it’ll make the Top 5.
Here are our predictions…
1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs – $27 million
2. Jennifer’s Body – $15 million
3. Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself – $11 million
4. The Informant! – $10 million
5. Love Happens – $8 million
1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs – $40 million
2. Jennifer’s Body – $25 million
3. The Informant! – $16 million
4. Love Happens – $13 million
5. Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself – $12 million