It’s Labor Day weekend everyone!
Lionsgate relies on Gerard Butler in Gamer to attract the young men demographic. Can this R-rated, action, real-life video game film really expect anyone else to watch it? Opening in about 2,500 theaters, it still seems like the new release with the highest potential.
In All About Steve, Sandra Bullock is back with another romantic comedy, starring alongside Bradley Cooper. I’m not sure about you but I’m getting tired of seeing Sandra Bullock. I’ll make sure to skip this film this weekend.
The third and final new release this weekend is a comedy from Office Space’s creator, Mike Judge. Extract stars Jason Bateman, Mila Kunis, Ben Affleck, and Kristen Wiig… not too bad of a cast if you ask me. But only opening in about 1,600 theaters means it’ll have a small result.
Here are our predictions…
1. The Final Destination – $16 million
2. Gamer – $14 million
3. Inglourious Basterds – $12 million
4. All About Steve – $11 million
5. District 9 – $8 million
1. Gamer – $25 million
2. All About Steve – $20 million
3. The Final Destination – $15 million
4. Inglourious Basterds – $11 million
5. Halloween II – $7 million
1. Gamer – $26 million
2. Halloween II – $19 million
3. All About Steve – $15 million
4. The Final Destination – $14 million
5. Extract – $10 million
Phil and Sheehan have very similar predictions, with Gamer at the top and with high gross estimates. Meanwhile, I don’t have much faith in the box office this Labor Day weekend and I have a feeling that although Gamer will be the highest grossing new release, it’s still going to have a disappointing box office result.
Check back on Monday for the results.