And I’m back. Again, thanks to Chris for writing up the box office post last Friday. So what’s in store for us this post-Oscar weekend? No new release is opening in over 1,500 theaters… usually that would mean almost no change from last weekend’s box office, but look closer. Storming to 1,271 theaters this weekend are The Jonas Brothers with their 3D Concert Experience. You all remember when Miley Cyrus pulled this stunt last year right? Let me refresh your memory… $31 million in less than 700 screens, the pta was astonishing. So with about double the screenings, The Jonas Brothers should be easily the box office champions this weekend.
There’s also a new release, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li. I haven’t yet seen a commercial for it, but I have seen a trailer or two and I’m not really impressed. Will anyone go out and see this movie? I think the Street Fighter craze died out a good decade ago and this is not the way to bring back its popularity.
With post-Oscar weekend comes a number of Oscar winning films expanding to a theater near you. Slumdog Millionaire spreads to almost 3,000 theaters. So if you haven’t seen the Best Picture winner, now is your chance. Also, Milk and The Reader are expanding, though I doubt they’ll make a major splash in the box office.
Okay, it’s prediction time!
1. Jonas Brothers: 3D Concert Experience – $44 million
2. Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes to Jail – $18 million
3. Slumdog Millionaire – $12 million
4. Taken – $8 million
5. Coraline – $7 million
1. Jonas Brothers: 3D Concert Experience – $30 million
2. Tyler Perry Madea Goes to Jail – $28 million
3. Taken – $8 million
4. Coraline – $7 million
5. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li – $6 million
1. Jonas Brothers: 3D Concert Experience – $60 million
2. Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes to Jail – $20 million
3. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li – $12 million
4. Slumdog Millionaire – $11 million
5. Coraline – $5 million
1. Jonas Brothers: 3D Concert Experience – $41 M
2. Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes To Jail – $19 M
3. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li – $11 M
4. Slumdog Millionaire – $7 M
5. Coraline – $5 M
As you can see, we have a new contributor to the Predictions Panel… Mr. Lost himself, Sheehan! Well between us four, we’re set with the #1 and #2 spots. Our Jonas Brothers predictions range from $30-$60 million with an average of $43.75 million. For Madea Goes to Jail, the range is from $18-$28 million with an average of $21.25 million. We all also have Coraline floating around the #4 and #5 spots. Now for the new release Street Fighter, everyone but myself has it cracking the Top 5 with an average of $9.3 million… while everyone but Chris has Slumdog Millionaire in the Top 5 with an average of $10 million.
Let’s see how our prediction hold up. Check back Monday for the results.